The Vedic Science of Detoxification of Body and Mind
Our dietary habits, lifestyle and thinking have a collective effect on our overall health. These 3 are considered as the three pillars of health – AhAra (diet), vihAra (lifestyle) and vichAra (thoughts). Any form of disturbance in these three can lead to a disturbance in the equilibrium of the three doshas (vAta, pitta and kapha), which can be loosely translated to the 3 biological energies of the body.
By and by, there is accumulation of vitiated doshas (acting here as toxins) in the tissues of the body. The blood chemistry gets disturbed, leading to various lifestyle disorders like diabetes, hyper and hypo thyroidism, and skin disorders– to name a few. Virechana Therapy or medicated purgation therapy helps remove the vitiated doshas (especially vitiated pitta, since it has an intimate relation with blood tissue) from the body. When these toxins are removed from the body as per the methods given in the original scriptures of Ayurveda, the detoxification is permanent.
dOShANam cha druvANam cha mUlena upahate sati /
rOgANAm prasavAnAm cha gatAnAm Agatihi dhruva //
– Charaka Samhita, Sutra Sthana. 16
“Like how when the trees are uprooted from their roots, they won’t grow back, similarly the vitiated doshas (toxins) when removed from their roots through the detoxification procedure will not reappear.”
The Agnis in the Human Body
As per Ayurveda, the human body has thirteen “Agnis”. “Agni” is the term for the whole process of biological conversion and utilization of energy. Malfunctioning of Agni leads to production of Ama (undigested material that remains in tract and acts as antigens/toxins and are responsible for production of various diseases & autoimmune diseases). Production of Ama may occur at the level of Jataragni (improper digestion in digestive tract), Bhutagni (liver dysfunction) or Dhatwagni (disturbed tissue metabolism). Ama is said to be the root cause of all diseases and can be indicated by lethargy, a coated tongue and foul breath. These undigested substances can be recognizable to us as:
- High cholesterol
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Stress and anxiety
“Almost each one of you carry at least 5 pounds of poison in your body, because of the toxification by constantly watching tv and powerful lights, pesticides in your food and so many other reasons. This Nithya Yoga Retreat is specifically focused on detoxification through a sattvic diet, Nithya Yoga and Kriya and cleansing methods. You will be detoxing your body and mind. Whoever wants to have their body detoxified, here is an amazing opportunity.” – Paramahamsa Nithyananda
Nithya Yoga + Detox retreat is designed to support, instead of shock, your system. Rather than aiming to eliminate toxins harshly, this process gently balances the whole being so that you can detox without destabilizing the body in any way.
It is a cleanse that uses Nithya Yoga, Ayurveda, Nithya Kriyas, Chakra and emotional cleansing, nourishing foods, herbs, and self-care techniques to rejuvenate the body, bringing it back to balance for optimal health and wellbeing.
Suspending unhealthy habits is key to the process; only then can you create the space for the healthy habits. Through the teachings of enlightened Master Paramahamsa Nithyananda, you will establish the habits you need in order to create health, vibrancy and infinite other possibilities.
Some benefits of this powerful process experienced by the participants of the Nithya Yoga and Detox Retreat are:
- Removal of lethargy, tiredness, fatigue
- Improved enthusiasm for life
- Cleansed gastro-intestinal-tract
- Weight loss of up to 5 lbs through the elimination of vitiated pitta and kapha
- Activation of the thirteen Agnis of the body, reaching the deeper tissues
- Improvement of general body immunity
- Reduction of serum triglycerides and LDL and VLDL. Decrease in the cholesterol levels and increase the beneficial fat in the body. This prevents the damage of blood vessels and the cardiovascular and cerebrovascular system.
- Better oxygenation of the brain which leads to better functioning of the brain, better memory, clarity of thought and decision making.
- Slowing of the aging process – prevent graying of hair, stronger bones, prevent wrinkling of the skin
- Improved ojas and tejas (vitality)
- Purification and strengthening of the liver, spleen and heart; blood circulation and oxygenation of the body
- Improved eyesight
- No more mood swings
- Reduction in acidity problems
- Brings equilibrium in all the doshas
- Creates a receptive inner space for better intuition, capacity to grasp subtle truths and manifest extraordinary possibilities.